If you are feeling stressed about the idea of meeting with a lawyer about your pending separation or divorce, you are totally normal. Everyone feels stress. Chances are you will feel much better once you are equipped with some knowledge about your various options and rights.
To make the most of your consultation with us, I’d like to share the following tips:
1. If you are able, try to do a bit of reading online to familiarize yourself with some of the issues that may apply in your situation. Our website at www.GalbraithFamilyLaw.com offers a wealth of free information and blogs on topics common to all relationship breakdowns.
2. Come to the meeting a bit early and as rested as possible so you are able to digest the information and options we have to offer you.
3. If you are really upset and stressed, bring a family member or friend with you who can take notes as it is difficult to remember everything when we are stressed.
4. Think about what your concerns are and what you hope to achieve in the long run.
5. Bring a list of questions. It will help in keeping our discussion focussed and directed.
6. If you have received a letter from your spouse’s lawyer, bring it with you.
7. Do a short summary outlining your family history. Include in it your date and place of marriage, your date of separation, the dates your children were born and any special events during your relationship. List any special needs that you may have, or those of your spouse or children, and a very brief employment history for both you and your spouse.
Remember that we are in the business of helping you navigate through the separation process and are happy to help you. Just be yourself, and know that I look forward to meeting you and working with you to reach your goals!